Etsy

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Upcycling an Old Picture Frame

I among many people use Pinterest to find inspiration for Christmas gifts, around the house projects and just because projects. From all of these ideas, I came up with one on my own! (unless my subconscious saw it somewhere else- then that's a bummer!)

Basically I'm turning an old picture frame into a memo station/ coat hanger

What you'll need for this project is
A picture frame
A canvas to fit into the frame
Spray paint- be creative on what you choose! I chose navy and cream
Hanger hooks- I got three
Clothes pins - the ones with the metal
Push pins ( the ones that v out to open and close easily)

This frame would have cost an arm and a leg if I got it made (not to mention it's better to save some trees and find a used one.) So I just found one at Salvation Army. I sanded the frame, including the divets so the spray paint would take.

I spray painted the canvas and frame, hanger hooks and clothespins to make everything look cohesive.

I then glued the clothespins with heavy duty Elmer's Glue-All Max- definitely don't need a ton and it did the job quite well :)

I then measured where the hangers should go, so I used a ruled and permanent marker to make points to drill.

Obviously this is a flat piece to hang against the wall, so instead of using nails or screws I'm going to use push pins (the ones that v out) not to mention it'll adds nice accent to your piece. You could spray paint those too if you decided.

Lastly, I had canvas on my frame- so I just took some paint and hand painted it- that was the most time consuming part so I would leave it the same color if you are in this situation.

Hope this excites you as much as it did for me :)











1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea and the finished product looks so chic! Very glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete